Saturday, October 11, 2008

La Fiorentina - A Dessert Lover's Dream

La Fiorentina Pastry Shop, located on Armory Street in Northampton, MA (with a sister location in Springfield that I've yet to visit), is *the* place for dessert in Northampton. This family-run bakery boasts more kinds of desserts that you can imagine. There's homemade Italian cookies, tiramisu, tortes, cannolis, rum cake, carrot cake, cheesecake and cream horns, just to name a very few.

They also have coffee, espresso & cappucino that you can enjoy with your dessert. In the summertime, they often have gelato as well.

Being the dessert lover (fanatic?) that I am, I have been to La Fiorentina many, many times. My husband took me here for the first time on one of our first few dates. We weren't living in the valley at that time, so it was a totally new experience for me. I like to joke that's when I fell in love with him. Any man who brings his woman to a dessert mecca and doesn't bat an eyelash when she eats an entire (large) hunk of cake is a keeper in my book!

I've tried many different things over the last couple of years: tiramisu, chocolate cake with raspberry cream filling and chocolate ganache icing (that's the chocolate snow-ball looking thing in the picture above that's topped whipped cream and a cherry), chocolate covered cannolis, butter cake with chocolate cream filling and more, I'm sure.

On this last visit I had a mini-rum cake with a fudgy chocolate filling and chocolate ganache icing sprinkled with nuts. Heaven in every bite! It brought me back to our honeymoon in Jamaica, where I tasted rum cake for the first time. It was moist and flavorful without being too rum-y. Mr. valleywriter and I dove right into it and before I knew it, it was gone and I'd forgotten to snap a picture. Oh well - you'll just have to go try one for yourself :-)

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Congrats on being a Finest Foodie Friday pick! And on buying your first home. Your lentil soup looks yummy. I miss the foliage. I live on Cape Cod and we just don't get the color like you do.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Valley Writer, congratulations on your FFF award. Next to Mexican food, Italian is my favorite!