Saturday, September 6, 2008

Artists are a funny bunch...

The Pioneer Valley is home to many creative people - writers, illustrators, painters, photographers, etc. And even those who aren't artists still seem to have a great appreciation for art - at least moreso than in other places I've lived. Of course, as a writer, I am classified as one of these "creative types" myself and I am happily surrounded by like-minded people at the publishing company where I work.

Where am I going with this? Well, I re-discovered just yesterday how deep the appreciation for art runs here in the valley. While the work week was technically short (only 4 days thanks to the Labor Day holiday), it seem nearly interminable to me. So I decided to celebrate Friday by indulging in a little chocolate and sharing with my cubicle-bound workmates. At noontime, I set out a bag of dark chocolate Hershey Kisses, ever so creatively laid out to spell "TGIF!!!"

Two and a half hours later, I noticed only 2 exclamation points had been eaten:

Quite frankly, that much chocolate sitting untouched for 2 1/2 hours at my work is nearly unheard of. So I started to wonder why people weren't eating it. And it occured to me that no one wanted to mess up the "art" I had created. So I decided to run a little experiment. I pushed the kisses into a pile in the center of the table:


And then I watched my coworkers flock:











Yup - that was all it took. A pile is, apparently, not art, so it may be eaten. Amusingly enough, as the pile dwindled over the next hour or so, it found itself turned back into art (by an unknown agent - it wasn't me!):



And once it became art again, no one would eat anymore. Sure, it may seem silly to some - but if you think about it - it's just another great part of the valley. To be surrounded by people who appreciate art and beauty, no matter how rudimentary it may be.

1 comment:

"Prof. Kitty" said...

I ate most of one of the exclamation points. But I could NOT eat any letters, it seemed sacrilegious! Anyway, I am glad that what seemed a cruel experiment at the time (how long we waited for someone to mess up those letters...!!!) turned out to be a nice demonstration of our artistic sensibilities. Oh, and thanks for the chocolate.